Promoting Sustainable Construction in Nigeria

 

In Nigeria, the building and construction industry has a significant role in supporting the development of the environment and society. As an organisation concerned with improving standards in Nigeria and to bring global attention to buildings being constructed in the country, the company organised workshops and media campaigns to sensitise and mobilise stakeholders in the construction chain to participate in the LafargeHolcim Awards.

The Company mobilised professionals and students in Nigeria's built sector to participate in the 5th International LafargeHolcim Awards. The Award is the most significant global competition in sustainable design, with 2 million US Dollars in prizes to sustainability-minded professionals across continents who design smart solutions for cities and the built environment.

Organised by the LafargeHolcim Foundation for Sustainable Construction, the competition identifies ideas with the highest potential to tackle today's challenges to increasing urbanisation and to improve quality of life. Projects and concepts from the fields of architecture, urban design, planning, technology, and civil and materials engineering were submitted for participation.

A FOCUS ON THE 5PS OF SUSTAINABLE CONSTRUCTION

To make the criteria of sustainable construction concise and transparent, the LafargeHolcim Foundation and its partner universities have defined five "target issues". They consider sustainable construction from a holistic perspective and serve as the basis for the adjudication process of the Awards competitions:

Progress

Innovation and Transferability

Projects must demonstrate innovative approaches to sustainable development, pushing the envelope of practice and exploring new disciplinary frontiers. Break-throughs and trend-setting discoveries must be transferable to a range of other applications.

People

Ethical standards and social inclusion

Projects must adhere to the highest ethical standards and promote social inclusion at all stages of construction, from planning and building to use and servicing; to ensure an enduring positive impact on communities. Proposals must demonstrate how they enhance the collective realm.

Planet

Resource and environmental performance

Projects must exhibit a sensible use and management of natural resources throughout their entire life cycle. Long-term environmental concerns, especially pertaining to stocks and flows of material and energy, should be an integral part of the design philosophy.

Prosperity

Economic viability and compatibility

Projects must be economically feasible and able to secure financing – whether from public, commercial, or concessional sources – while having a positive impact on society and the environment. Avoiding the wasteful consumption of material resources, an economy of means in construction is to be promoted.

Place

Contextual and aesthetic impact

Projects must convey a high standard of architectural quality as a prevalent form of cultural expression. With space, form and aesthetic impact of utmost significance, the material manifestation of the design must make a positive and lasting contribution to the physical, human and cultural environment.

 

AFFORDABLE HOUSING

Lafarge Africa Plc. serves a wide range of consumers, including: manufacturing, construction, individual home builders, block makers, and general end-users. We are committed to delivering value across its entire construction chain. For us, that includes going beyond producing goods and services that bring in revenue, to providing building solutions to alleviate the pressing needs of the larger Nigerian community. As such, we introduced the Lafarge Easy Home, in 2013 to bridge the housing deficit prevalent across the country, by providing safe, efficient and innovative housing solutions to meet the needs of our customers.

The initiative is the first of its kind in Nigeria, and is premised on three pillars:

  • Housing microfinance
  • Mass housing and
  • Providing soil stabilised bricks

In 2016, beneficiaries of the scheme grew to 25,000 across 10 states in the country, 93% of whom expressed satisfaction with the scheme, while the remaining 7% look forward to shorter processing times and greater loans. 95% of beneficiaries expressed that they would likely participate in the scheme again. Furthermore, we are happy to report that our employees were also given the opportunity to benefit from the scheme, with 2% of beneficiaries being Lafarge Africa staff.